Hass.io Installation and Setup, Part 2

Hass.io Installation and Setup, Part 2

Hass.io Logo

If you haven’t read part 1 yet, check it out….

In part two, I setup Home Assistant so that I can make configuration changes.  I did this through the HASS Configurator add-on.  I could edit these settings via the configuration.yaml file with a text editor, but I wanted to do as much as possible through the webpage user interface.

First, I open the left menu and select Hass.io.  

Then in the top right of the Home Assistant screen I click the Add-on Store link.  Configurator is the first add-on that I installed, per the getting started guide.  Simply click Configurator from the list of add-ons, and then click Install.  After a little less than a minute I see this screen:

All the red X’s worry me at first glance, but I quickly realize this is the customization screen for this add-on, and those are just not enabled.  

I set a password by deleting “null” and entering a password.  Or at least I wanted to.  When I changed it in the OPTIONS section, the save button is grayed out.  After refreshing the page, going to the Configuration page from the left menu, and back to the Configurator add-on, I don’t see any setting to change that will allow me to change the password, and save it.  So, I decide to skip the password part for now, and click Start.  Uh oh.  The State still shows “stopped”.  I click it again, and I see the same.  I decide to restart Home Assistant to see if the changes anything, because a reboot never hurt anything!  That’s Configuration, General, and from the Server Management section, RESTART.

After browsing back to the Configurator, I try to start the add-on again.  Nope.  Ok, the trusty reboot didn’t work.  Chrome has a lot of extensions running, maybe it is one of those.  I use Privacy Badger, and it sometimes breaks websites.  I disable it for this address, refresh, and try again.  Still nothing.  I decide the easiest way to make sure it isn’t a Chrome extension is to try and open it in Firefox.  Denied again!  Back to the drawing board.

I try the “Need help?” link from the HA website, which takes me to a list of sources.  I search the Home Assistant subreddit for “configurator password” and get exactly what I need on the first try – thank you redditors!  Here’s the link https://redd.it/7otn53.  The solution was to put quotes around my password.  Everything else in the Options section has quotes, but the word null did not, so I didn’t put them around my password.  I save, then start the Configurator, and voila!  It is running.

The next step is to open the WEB UI and add several lines of code that will put a link to the Configurator in the sidebar.  But, when I enter my password after clicking open web ui, I get an error, “Policy not fulfilled”.  My LAN is not in the 192.168.0.0 range, so I go back to the options page (where I set the password), and change it to match my schema.  Restart, and try again.  This time the Configurator opens!  I click a few of the drop down lists, but don’t see where I’m supposed to add the new lines of code.  Then I see the folder icon near the top.  “Configuration.yaml” is in there and I open it.  Bingo!

I copy this from the getting started page:

panel_iframe:
 configurator:
   title: Configurator
   icon: mdi:wrench
   url: http://hassio.local:3218

Then I paste it at the very bottom of the file, and save.  One more restart, and now I see a link to Configurator in the left sidebar!

I’m happy using the web editor, so I skip the section on editing config via samba/windows networking.  This will likely come back to haunt me.

My HA start page automatically discovered some of my devices.  Axis IP cameras, a Sonos player, and a Samsung TV.  I want to see if I can do anything with my Sonos, so I click the components link, https://home-assistant.io/components/media_player.sonos/.  I think the generic Sonos discovery will be enough to start with, and I add it to the configuration.yaml file, as we did above.  I paste the following to the bottom of the file, save, and restart the Pi again.

# Example configuration.yaml entry using Sonos discovery
media_player:
 – platform: sonos

Upon restarting, I see an error at Line 1 Column 1.  What I added was definitely not at the top of the file, so I look at it to see what is wrong.  Somehow, I added an * before “homeassistant”.  I delete it, save, and restart.  Much better, no error.  I don’t see a difference on my Sonos, but when I click the vertical dots, I have more options!  I can change what’s playing, and much more.  This is great!

In Part 3 I’ll add two GE 12722 light switches and more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *